Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Transfer big file with scp without blocking console and see progress

Problem statement:
  1. I must move a large file from one host to another, I used scp for it.
  2. But I need to use it without blocking console so that I can exit the terminal, so I should use nohup with scp and &.
  3. But I wanna see progress after some time. 
After searching solution for this I found the screen. To transfer file with scp without blocking console:
  • Step 1:
    execute this line to transfer file to remote host
    • This command will prompt for a password, give remoteHost's password.
  • Step 2:
    And to detach the process from terminal press:
    Ctrl+a and then: d
    now you can exit terminal without exiting scp.
  • Step 3:
    To see the status/progress of scp open a terminal and type:
    • This command'll attach scp to terminal.
To detach again follow Step 2.











AUTHOR: OBSCURE

No comments:

Post a Comment